Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blog Post - At the Last MInute

I chose Dear Students: Don't Let College Unplug Your Future by Gideon Burton.

1. His intent is to make college students aware of some ways that they can and must use technology to help them in their lives. He is trying to persuade them to see his point of view and act on it.

2. One of his biggest tools is to use language to try and connect with his intended audience. He tries to establish his Ethos with his audience by using a voice that relates to them.

3. I think that the audience's reaction is what the author was going for. As a result of this I started thinking about what I can do now to build my presence online in a professional way to help me out in the future. So I think it worked.

Hmm... it was interesting to google this paper and see that the author is a BYU professor. Haha and as I just wrote that, a guy who looks a lot like the old picture of him on the site I looked up walked by.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the author biggest tool was his use of the language. He talked in a way to make it entertaining for us(students, because we are his audience) Because of the way he expressed, I felt that he knew us well and how to grab us. I agreed with him because of that connection

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you refer to this as last minute.... when I definitely submitted mine like a whole HOUR later than this.
    Also, from reading the title of the story you read, for some reason I was thinking I picked the same one.... except I didn't. And I was so confused as to what you were talking about.... and then I was like.... right, I didn't even choose this article.

    And, that's quite funny that the author you're stalking, is perhaps stalking you. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I chose this article too and the author definitely is using his unique voice to relate to his audience. I found it hard to believe that he was a professor, let alone one at BYU, while I was reading it. But I definitely think that it helps make his argument more effective.

    ReplyDelete