Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Library Instruction: A Well Thought Out Paragraph on the Merits and Lessons of Library Research Instruction with Additional Comments

Additional comments first: the iPads I could take or leave, but those library desks were awesome!!! Natalie, I think you should pull some strings and get those for our classroom. They would be so convenient for mixing up groups or passing papers around. We could take fun five-minute breaks and do things like bumper cars, desk tag, or sharks and minnows. We could even take field trips without having to get up, but we would still be getting exercise from using our legs to maneuver. We already have a pretty great class, but if anything were to make it even better, it would be getting those desks in our classroom.

I thought the library research instruction was very enlightening. I did not know that I could chat with a librarian, or that there are so many great search engines available to help me find scholarly articles and other academically sound sources. I thought it was cool that we all had iPads so we could follow along, although a few times I got distracted looking things up and missed some of the teaching. I found a couple sources for my paper that should help me with my research. I wasn't really confused about anything. It makes sense that we can use encyclopedias in our research but not as sources. It also makes sense that we want to use the work of experts to strengthen our papers' appeals to ethos. I'm glad we are working on this right now; I have a research paper that I am working on for a different class at the same time, and I feel like what I learn in Writing will help me to do a quality job on my other paper.

3 comments:

  1. You have me completely sold on the new desks for our classroom. It'll be potentially problematic if the field trip destinations are anywhere off the third floor though. I wonder how many of those desks can fit in an elevator at once? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The library instruction was not only helpful for this research paper, but helpful for other research that I will have to do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the chairs would be awesome to have in our class! It would make class so much more fun. Your comments on the library databases were good too.

    ReplyDelete